Tuesday, September 12, 2006

We have not forgotten

Hi, I'm Jason.

I'm new, am not terribly well-versed in politics, and get most of my news from Comedy Central, Metafilter, and Fark.com. I don't affiliate myself with any party, though I'm ready to register with the first party that can consistently produce candidates that aren't batshit insane. I'm the cynic that says that it isn't a question of whether or not the world's going to hell in a handbasket, but rather at what rate are we descending to it.

Still with me? Good, then read on.

Yesterday, the POTUS gave a speech in observance of the five year anniversary of the attacks. Apparently this speech may have been used for political gain. I'm not going to comment because, I freely admit, I was not among last night's viewers.

In fact, I opted not to watch the recorded coverage of the attacks, the tributes, or the documentaries. Instead, I watched this:



[Hat tip to Crooks & Liars for the video.]

Olbermann may not be correct in all respects--rarely anyone is, after all. While the President should be held accountable, it certainly isn't entirely his fault that the memorial has yet to be completed. That said, this may well be one of the most damning speeches by a public commentator in recent memory.

When we are scolded, that if we merely question, we have "forgotten the lessons of 9/11"… look into this empty space behind me and the bi-partisanship upon which this administration also did not build, and tell me:

Who has left this hole in the ground?

We have not forgotten, Mr. President. You have.

May this country forgive you.

4 Comments:

Blogger christie said...

"I don't affiliate myself with any party, though I'm ready to register with the first party that can consistently produce candidates that aren't batshit insane."

You're goign to stay an independent for a very, VERY long time.

3:06 PM PDT  
Blogger Jason said...

And is there anything wrong with that? :D

3:44 PM PDT  
Blogger christie said...

not at all.

9:48 PM PDT  
Blogger aaron "dirty" teagle said...

hi jason!

10:44 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home