Saturday, September 10, 2005

Saturday afternoon ramblings

I learned that Oedipus Rex can be quite a page-turner. But I needed a break.

Supreme Court Chief Justice nominee John G. Roberts is a nerd. But I think I'll hold off on any opinions until the hearings really get under way. Plus, I'm betting that he'll pass. Is he conservative? Oh, definitely. Will he be politically charged in his duties as Chief Justice if/when he is confirmed? Probably not. I trust his long legal and academic career to guide him in making reasonable judgements.

Apparently, Rove is untouchable. A lawyer for the Texas Secretary of State was fired after talking to reporters about Rove's tax returns or something. The lawyer, Elizabeth Reyes, is not a part of the Bush administration, but she illustrates one of the requirements to be included in it. (1) Must be able to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for the President and the Party. Oil interest groups are preferred, but not required. (2) Must be as unsuitable for the position as humanly possible. (3) Must be silently obedient at all times.

Even I am reaching my boiling point. Just abolish state-sanctioned marriage, dammit! Opponents of gay-marriage squabble over, nothing... It's really understandable if gay couples demanded the rights for themselves, or if their friends and family supported them. But they frankly aren't hurting anybody. Why do these people CARE so much? They can disown their own kids if they turn out to favor a homosexual lifestyle, but leave everyone else alone.

I would write more, but I'm craving chocolate. Which would inevitably lead to my craving coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home